Ergonomics in the workplace is something that has really become important and taken more seriously by employers over the last few years. So many people spend a lot of time at desks a nd in office chairs that can really add stress to the spine. This means that a lot more people have been developing back problems related to their workplace. In an effort to reduce this, many more employers and employees have been relying on different types of ergonomic computer chairs. It is a great way to combat this problem because it supports the lower back and helps align posture. There are a few things you should look for when looking to invest in an ergonomic computer chair, all of which we have covered below.
Some of you may be wondering what ergonomic office chair is the best choice, the answer is that there really isn’t one type that is. There are so many different types, it’s important to look for certain things that make a good chair instead. Below we have covered the most important characteristics you need to pay attention to.
- Material & Padding – When it comes to the material you should look for a more breathable fabric so it can easily be cleaned and can dry fast if it gets damp or wet. You should also make sure that you choose an ergonomic computer chair that has enough padding. Padding makes the chair more comfortable to sit on for longer periods of time which is something that most people do in offices. Hopefully, after reading this article you feel more confident in being able to differentiate between an average chair and an ergonomic one as well as knowing how to buy the right one for you.
- Height – The height of the chair should also be adjustable and most chairs to come with a pneumatic adjustment lever. This is probably the easiest way to adjust the height of the chair and the most common. While simple in design, it really is the easiest way to get the right height you need. The user should have their feet firmly planted and flat on the floor, your arms and thighs should be even with the height of the desk. The best way to find the right height for you is to play around and adjust the height of the chair yourself.
- Width & Depth – When it comes to the width and depth the chair itself should be large enough to support the person sitting on it comfortably. When looking for good depth you should be able to sit with your back against the backrest while still having a little space between your knees and the seat. Another great feature that a good chair should have is an adjustable tilt function that moves backwards and forward. All of these features ensure that the person sitting on the chair is at their most comfortable and can work easily without feeling discomfort.
- Lower Back Support – This is no doubt one of the most important features you should be looking for in a chair. The lower back and spine curves inward and when you are not sitting on a decent chair this can lead to slouching which over time can lead to flattening the spine. A flat spine means that there is too much strain on the spine so choosing a chair that has proper lumber adjustment is crucial. If you can adjust the height, width, and depth, you can easily adjust the chair to fit the lower of your back properly without you have to slouch. Proper support is crucial if you don’t want lower back pain.
- Backrest – There are many different styles of back rests when it comes to chairs, so you should know what to look for with each style. If the backrest is separate, then it should be easily adjustable in its height and angle. If the backrest fits the entire chair, you should look for one that is adjustable to move forward and backwards. Even the backrest and top of the chair should move to the curvature of the spine so you are getting enough support throughout the day.